Sunday 3 July 2011

Scissors and Sewing Needles.

I've always been around people who can sew. My nan, my mother and my sister and in year 9, I did textiles for D.T and found out I wasn't all that bad at it. However, it's only been the past year that I've started customizing my own clothes. If I got bored with clothes, I'd throw them out or to the back of my wardrobe and they'd be left, but the thought of throwing away clothes now horrifies me. Customizing your clothes is a great way of giving them a new lease of life!
I bought this dress about two years ago and had never worn it out, but I liked it too much to get rid of it. I hadn't worn it because it was too long. It went down to just above my knees and I didn't like it. I'm not sure why I hadn't done it sooner, but I sewed the hem up to make it shorter and now I feel more comfortable wearing it.

 Back in the day when I was a bit of a scene kid, I loved Hello Kitty. This started life out as a average t-shirt, but when I put it on not long ago, I didn't like it and decided to cut it. I cut the collar and made it lower and also I cut the sleeves off and made the arm holes much longer down the sides. If you're going to do this, be aware that  your bra will be visible, so it may be a good idea to wear a bandeau underneath.
Once again, from my scene kid days, I had bright coloured jeans, these were criminal damage jeans. I simply cut the legs off to the size I wanted, trickiest part is getting the lengths the same on both legs.

These were from H&M and again, I just cut the legs off. I decided to fold the bottom of these up to make a hem, but I haven't sewn it at all.

Finally, my band t-shirts.
I refuse to ever throw these out, because they hold some good memories. Instead, I've just cut the sleeves off, but I've left the collar as it was, so I don't interfere with the t-shirt design.

I've also made my own t-shirts out of fabrics I've bought, however they're being used as part of my A-Level work so I can't show you them. I've had people tell me they would wear them and a friend has actually asked me to make her a t-shirt!
Adding studs, buttons, etc to clothes is a great way of creating a new look. I'd definitely recommend to people to customise their clothes, but if you haven't had much practise, start with a clothing item that you wouldn't mind possibly wrecking, saves you ruining a top you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment